Monday 19 August 2013

Mediocrity is a disease

Yes, I said it. Mediocrity is a disease, and I hate settling for it. Mediocrity is the elephant in the room, Mediocrity is the enemy of excellence & it will never do.

Especially in India, Mediocrity is a way of life. I am ashamed to admit that I only try not to settle for it, however sometimes, its not a choice. So why are we talking about this ? How is an awesome Himalayan adventure ever going to become mediocre ? You will be surprised.

I was surprised. The job was not a tough one after all ! Its as simple as making a few phone calls. First you call the "rent a motorcycle" guy in the mountains (Leh, Ladakh) , preferably a Royal Enfield. Then you book your fancy Air tickets and fly right to your destination. Obviously you need shelter, so you book a hotel next for however long you intend to stay. Now, your adventure starts. You aimlessly ride through the mountainous terrain across pristine valleys of Nubra and Zanskar crossing some of the highest motorable roads in the world. But, this did not make any sense. It was not what I expected. It was not the adventure I was looking forward to. It was all too mediocre. The bike rental, the royal enfield and the whole concept of a "organised" trip got to me.

Whats actually interesting to note is the fact that Leh, my final destination in the mountains is actually Royal Enfield Country. This is the Royal Enfield




and its meant to be ridden on Tarmac like this....



But, The Himalayan terrain looks like this ...

                                     
                                          and like this ...


This made me think...& I was thinking for a while. Then It occurred to me that my motorcycle of choice should actually look like this ...


But, I couldn't afford a KTM adventure motorcycle ...Nevertheless, I will not settle for Mediocrity ..




No comments:

Post a Comment