Sunday 6 December 2020

Its Official, The Phoenix is rising from the ashes

The Rant

In India, People are stupid. I see people piling up on motorcycles in car parking lots of buildings and calling it a 'garage'. Most of these people also are gifted with the skills of a blind gibbon wearing boxing gloves. And, here's why they are stupid:

More bikes=more money. Registration. Insurance. Maintenance. Storage, nah in india we just keep them in building car parks and let them rot..not me. Then you have upkeep. If you don’t ride them enough you have batteries to worry about and carbs getting gummed up or injectors getting dirty. I have 7 motorcycles now. I also have a shop with plenty of storage and knowledge to maintain them. I would say I ride only 3 of them regularly the rest just sit and look pretty or are in various states of repair. If I wasn’t an insane person I would sell all but 3 because again. They just sit. true story. 

PS: The first step of ownership begins with printing the owners and service manual.



The Article:

A restoration breathes life back into something classic and timeless. Perhaps you inherited your grandfather’s (or great-grandfather’s) favorite possession, but after failed attempts to get it running again, it was shoved into a corner of the garage or barn decades ago. Perhaps you are a collector of fine antique motorcycles and acquired a rare old motorcycle worthy of restoration, recognizing what it could be if handed to a master artisan. 




Hi, To clarify, I am not a master artisan. But its official. The motorcycle is my business now. I have setup a professional shop space in my parent's house basement. A bit cliche of how big things start small. Even though i am not an artist, I dont seem to see what other see. for example I dont see a rusted-out frame, A busted gas tank, or a dilapidated box of mismatched and dirty parts. I see what that motorcycle was in glory days. With a bit of overconfidence and a blind leap of faith, I now have 2 projects. a 2005 Ape RS125 and an even older KLE from yesteryear. 










Ask anyone that restores motorcycles and they will tell you it takes passion to complete the task. I believe i have developed a passion for Japanese and European classic bikes from the 80's and 90's. 




I enjoy waking up and walking down to the garage with a Plan. A plan to meticulously strips down each bike piece by piece and then begin - the arduous tasks of repair, refinish, and replacement until what was once a motorcycle others would put in the scrap yard is now a rideable memory from the past. For a collector , a  pièce de ré·sis·tance, or a great-grandchild’s most treasured (and rideable) memory. 


                     


At some point, I will have the opportunity to meet new people and rebuild new motorcycles, and most of all love having visitors to the workshop. If you are one, Just be sure to bring a few treats for the cats and be ready to get your hands dirty – we might put you to work! 




PS: If I make it out this year, I’m putting it on my resumé...Fuck you too, 2020 



No comments:

Post a Comment